Mission and Vision
The greatest sustainable approach we use is our focus urban infill development. Compact, urban infill development provides the following benefits:
- Saves 20%-40% of vehicle miles traveled (VMT) with corresponding reductions in greenhouse gases (GHGs).
- Uses existing infrastructure and services
- Contributes to communities achieving or sustaining thresholds of population density necessary for amenities such as park space, community services, retail establishments, and affordable housing.
- In communities where undeveloped, run-down, or vacant properties are eyesores or safety hazards, infill development can remove the blight of these properties.
The impact of construction and demolition (C&D) debris on the environment is staggering. More than 135 million tons of debris from construction sites is brought to U.S. landfills every year, making it the single largest source in the waste stream.
At RAD Industrialized Building Systems, we’re able to design and fabricate extremely efficiently and our waste generation is just 4%, compared to 10%-15% for conventional construction methods.
Where sustainably feasible, we incorporate vegetated rooftops into our projects. The availability of affordable, fresh produce in urban settings supports local businesses and promotes a higher quality of living for its residents.
Our Garden Village project in Berkeley, CA.. includes a commercial-scale rooftop farm that will provide over 12,000 gross square-feet of growing space. The rooftop farm will be the first of its kind in California and will yield approximately 32,000 lbs. of produce annually. This equates to enough fresh vegetables for every daily meal for an estimated 160 people.
Our focus on urban infill projects creates an opportunity for tapping into existing mass transit which saves 20%-40% of vehicle miles traveled (VMT) with corresponding reductions in greenhouse gases (GHGs).
- In partnership with TransForm, all of our residential projects are designed to achieve certification through their GreenTRIP program. TransForm, a nonprofit organization, specializes in development strategies that “save residents money, increase transit ridership, reduce local traffic, pollution and carbon emissions, and make streets safer for everyone.” - TransForm
- In support of the use of alternative transportation methods, our residential projects offer secure bicycle storage, car-share programs, and resident incentives aligned with local mass transit services.
- Many of our projects achieve a Platinum GreenTRIP Platinum certification through the implementation of in-unit bicycle parking, secure on-site bicycle storage, on-site bicycle repair station, on-site car-sharing program and a resident mass transit incentive package.